Re: RFC: -Wall by default

On 04/05/2012 11:29 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
this is drifting, but since we talking about teaching (which is part of my
daytime job)

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Robert Dewar<dewar@adacore.com> wrote:

Wouldn't it be better in a "moderately basic programming course" to
provide standard canned scripts that set things up nicely for students
including the switches they need?

you are assuming that all students have the same programming environement or that we can force them, or that the environment they are programming in can run "standard canned scripts that set things up". The reality is that far from these ideal situations.

If people should be wrapped inside scripts which enable -Wall for them, just enable -Wall for them, right?

Eclipse CDT and Visual Studio turn warnings on by default for new projects. You could ask them if anyone is requesting this default to be turned off.

--
 P.