Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:24, Richard Guenther
> <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Which means never, because I think it's a prerequesite for switching?
>
> No. ?I was not clear. ?By "done", I meant that GCC builds with C++ in
> all the platforms we can test.
>
> I'm sending a testing plan later today with the list of targets I
> think should be tested. ?I am expecting to do some adjusting patches
> to get all the targets working.

I tried bootstrapping on AIX using C++.

I am able to bootstrap using G++, but not with IBM xlC.  xlC is able
to compile the GCC source code (with a lot of warning messages), but
the build fails when the build passes GCC-specific no exception flags
to xlC.

NOEXCEPTION_FLAGS = -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti

xlc -c -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti conftest.c

does succeed, but

xlc -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti conftest.c

fails.  I don't think -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions does what GCC expects.

Also, I noticed that although GCC is configured with
--enable-build-with-cxx , the configure tests use $CC, which might not
be accurate.

- David