This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8
- From: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>
- To: Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google dot com>
- Cc: gcc <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, Lawrence Crowl <crowl at google dot com>
- Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:06:59 +0200
- Subject: Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8
- References: <4F7B356E.email@example.com>
On Apr 3, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Diego Novillo wrote:
> We would like to start the process to make GCC 4.8 build in C++ mode by default.
> The mechanics of the change are simple enough. I volunteer to test changing the default on all primary targets (assuming I can get them from the GCC build farm).
Is it already possible to build stage1 with c++ ?
The VMS targets are not yet ready with build in C++ mode. This target is somewhat special because it can be built only with a cross-compiler (we don't support regular 3 stages native builds because there is no complete and working well enough UNIX emulation tools).
I started to build g++ (and gfortran) for ia64 and alpha VMS in order to prepare this transition, but having a soft path would be better to me.
(Clearly VMS is not a blocking target for the GCC community - that's not the point).