Re: Backends with no exception handling on GCC47

"Paulo J. Matos" <paulo@matos-sorge.com> writes:

> I am porting my backend to GCC47 and during libgcc configuration I get:
> configure:4511: checking whether to use setjmp/longjmp exceptions
> configure:: /home/pm18/p4ws/pm18_binutils/bc/main/result/linux/
> intermediate/FirmwareGcc47Package/./gcc/xgcc -B/home/pm18/p4ws/
> pm18_binutils/bc/main/result/linux/intermediate/Firmware
> Gcc47Package/./gcc/ -B/home/pm18/p4ws/pm18_binutils/bc/main/result/linux/
> image/gcc_470_1/xap-local-xap/bin/ -B/home/pm18/p4ws/pm18_binutils/bc/
> main/result/linux/image/gcc_470_1/xap-l
> ocal-xap/lib/ -isystem /home/pm18/p4ws/pm18_binutils/bc/main/result/linux/
> image/gcc_470_1/xap-local-xap/include -isystem /home/pm18/p4ws/
> pm18_binutils/bc/main/result/linux/image/gcc_
> 470_1/xap-local-xap/sys-include    -c --save-temps -fexceptions
> conftest.c >&5
> conftest.c: In function 'foo':
> conftest.c:19:1: internal compiler error: in emit_move_insn, at
> expr.c:3435
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <bug database module 'GCC for Xap2'> for instructions.
> configure:: $? = 1

Errors and compilation failures during configuration are not necessarily
important.  You shouldn't spend your time looking at them.  You should
look at the results.

However, an internal compiler error is always considered a bug that
should be fixed, even if it is only replaced by an error message.  That
is, the fact that the compilation failed during libgcc configuration is
unimportant.  The fact that you got an internal compiler error is worth
looking into.

> Also, I get loads of errors of the following while testing for the
> existence of system headers. Am I expected to have a working libc for my
> port at this point in GCC compilation?

It is not absolutely required, but if you have one you should use it.

> *** Configuration xap-local-xap not supported

You will have to find out where that last error message is coming from.
It's not happening because of errors in configure tests.  It's most
likely coming from libgcc/config.host.  You probably need to add an
entry for xap-*-* in that switch.

Since you are porting to GCC 4.7, probably you need to move some support
from gcc/config/zap over to libgcc/config/xap.  In GCC 4.7 there has
been a lot of work to move target library code from gcc to libgcc.

Ian