Re: Freescale 68HC11/68HC12 port (gcc newbie help request)

James Murray <jsm@jsm-net.demon.co.uk> writes:

> However, the generated code isn't as good as the output from 3.3.6. I
> swapped back to unpatched 3.4.4 and compared with unpatched 3.3.6.

I can understand why you are doing this.  However, you should be aware
that the compiler internals changed significantly in version 4.0.  Time
spent working on detailed optimizations of gcc 3.4 is almost certainly
time wasted.  Walking forward version by version makes some sense, I
guess, but you shouldn't even look at the optimizations in the generated
code until you get to at least 4.3.

Ian