Re: GCC 4.7.0 Release Candidate available from gcc.gnu.org

>>> If all goes well, I'd like to release 4.7.0 in about three weeks.
>>
>> I'll drop it on Solaris. Give it a push. Do we realy really need that
>> ppl/cloog stuff? I have never seen it build and pass any tests, ever,
>> even once, on Solaris with or without Sun Studio compilers or GCC or
>> prayer and geek magic under a full moon.  Seriously.
>
> Given that PPL is a C++ library, you need to build it with g++ since
> Studio CC and g++ aren't ABI-compatible.
>
> That said, I'm using them in my Solaris GCC bootstraps, although it
> admittedly took some effort to build initially and using it requires you
> to jump through hoops to get the configure options right.  I agree that
> this is an incredible mess right now.

I found it too be entirely too much work to be trusted and considered
stable long term. So therefore I generally kick ppl/cloog to the curb
and focus on core c,c++ gfortan and ada with objc thrown in without
the ppl/cloog bits at all. I have been very happy with my results and
the recent 4.6.3 RC was the most clean and pure results I have seen
to date, on Solaris 8 old Sparc no less :

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2012-02/msg02786.html

>> So really, it that stuff a "need" or a "nice to have" ?
>
> install.texi documents them as optional:
>
> Necessary to build GCC with the Graphite loop optimizations.
>
> but that sentence could probably be clarified.

Would be cool to say "entirely optional".

dc

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x1D936C72FA35B44B
| Dennis Clarke           | Solaris and Linux and Open Source |
| dclarke@blastwave.org   | Respect for open standards.       |