Re: PATCH RFA: Build stages 2 and 3 with C++

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:41:16 -0700
Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:

> Mike Stump <mikestump@comcast.net> writes:
>
> >> Presumably the fix will be to use -frandom-seed.
> >
> > But, the random seem was to ensure that things that should not collide, don't.  If you use 0, then things that should not collide, eventually will and your world with then end.  In the present code base, it is perfectly safe to do this.  If the codebase is ever extended to use C++ features, then, that code can break.
>
> I wasn't suggesting using -frandom-seed=0.

I have a similar issue in the MELT branch, and I am passing to -frandom-seed the md5sum
of relevant source files. With such a trick, the seed is reproducible from one build to
the next one (of the exact same source tree), and does provide much more randomness than
just using 0 all the time.

Cheers.
*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***