Re: To Steering Committee: RFC for patch revert policy (PR48403, bootstrap broken on many targets)

On 04/04/2011 11:58 PM, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> In the PR audit trail, I've proposed to revert the patch, and HJ and
> Benjamin are also in favor of that. In Benjamin's works: Bootstrap has
> been broken for much too long, on all the common devel arches.

Which is not actually true, see the second-to-last message in that bug:

"But x86/Linux, x86-64/Linux, x86-64/Darwin, x86/Solaris and
SPARC/Solaris now bootstrap fine for me so there is some progress."

What's still broken is --disable-checking bootstrap on i686-linux. This
reproduces for me with both with a tree checked out at revision 171823,
which is the one before my checkins, and a current tree with my patches
reverted. There's a tendency for people to pile on an existing bugzilla
report rather than properly investigate what's actually causing their
problems.

What's left are failures on mips64-linux and ia64, which I'm
investigating now. I don't think anyone has done a proper analysis for
what caused them either, although I guess my prune_ready_list patch is a
major suspect. Clearly this is unfortunate, but I don't think these two
are common devel arches either, as claimed by Steven.

Bernd