Re: CUMULATIVE_ARGS in hooks (Was: RFC: semi-automatic hookization)

Quoting Nathan Froyd <froydnj@codesourcery.com>:

I am admittedly a C++ newbie; the first thing I thought of was:

class gcc::cumulative_args {
  virtual void advance (...) = 0;
  virtual rtx arg (...) = 0;
  virtual rtx incoming_arg (...) { return this->arg (...); };
  virtual int arg_partial_bytes (...) = 0;
  // ...and so on for many of the hooks that take CUMULATIVE_ARGS *
  // possibly with default implementations instead of pure virtual
  // functions.
};

Trying to put a target-derived object of that into struct rtl_data would be nonsentical. You might store a pointer, of course. But at any rate, the member function implementations would not be part of the globally-visible target vector. They are in a smaller vector, and only the pieces of the middle end that deal with argument passing get to see them. Does that mean you acknowledge that we shouldn't have CUMULATIVE_ARGS taking hooks in the global target vector?