Re: Trouble doing bootstrap

Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de> writes:

> * Ian Lance Taylor wrote on Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 03:07:46AM CEST:
>> Paul Koning writes:
>> > My build system doesn't have LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined so whatever is
>> > the Linux default would apply.  Perhaps I should change that.  But it
>> > seems strange that configure finds the prerequisites and then ends up
>> > generating makefiles that produce a compiler that can't find those
>> > things, even when it's built into the same /usr/local as the libraries
>> > it depends on.
>>
>> Yes, it's a mess.  But we don't know of any really clean way to fix it.
>
> Provide a configure switch --with-hardcoded-gccdeps that adds run path
> entries for pre-installed support libraries?

I'm fine with that, but it just introduces another configure option for
people to learn about.  If we have to teach people something, I'd rather
teach them to use --disable-shared when they build the libraries
themselves.

> Of course the same could be done for when support libraries are built as
> part of the GCC source tree, but then we'd have to know about whether
> run path entries override LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings, and/or might need to
> relink upon installation in order to not use old preinstalled stuff
> while inside the build tree ...

There is no problem when the support libraries are built as part of the
gcc source tree, because in that case the build system automatically
configures them with --disable-shared.

Ian