Re: Trouble doing bootstrap

On Oct 13, 2010, at 6:41 PM, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 13/10/2010 22:34, Paul Koning wrote:
>
>> On my Linux system (CentOS 5.5) I'm trying to do a bootstrap of the current
>> trunk.  I have the dependencies (mpc, mfpr, gmp) installed.
>>
>> Did configure, no issues.
>>
>> Did "make bootstrap".  Stage 1 runs clean up to
>> "configure-stage1-target-libgcc" where it runs into "can't compile".
>>
>> Config.log reveals that cc1 (the one that was just built) can't find
>> libmpc.so.
>>
>> Why not?  It's installed... is it looking in the wrong place?  I would
>> expect a simple configure with a simple make bootstrap to do the right
>> thing.
>>
>> I tried configure with --with-mpc pointing to the right mpc explicitly.  No
>> difference, same failure at the same spot.
>>
>> Do I need to have mpc in the build tree so it's built along with gcc?  That
>> seems strange, and it certainly isn't documented in
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html
>
>  If mpc isn't in your standard $prefix, you'll need to point at it using
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
>    cheers,
>      DaveK

Just before retrying the bootstrap, I grabbed each of the 3 prerequisites from the "infrastructure" directory on the gnu ftp server.  Built and installed them with no-argument "configure" so they end up in /usr/local/.  Did the same with gcc.

My build system doesn't have LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined so whatever is the Linux default would apply.  Perhaps I should change that.  But it seems strange that configure finds the prerequisites and then ends up generating makefiles that produce a compiler that can't find those things, even when it's built into the same /usr/local as the libraries it depends on.

	paul