Re: forcing the linker to be a particular one (i.e. gold vs bfd)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:

I am a mostly happy user of the GOLD binutils linker (thanks Ian!) and
it is the default /usr/bin/ld on my Debian/Testing system.

However, in some occasions, it could be useful to use another linker
(ie the plain BFD one).
[...]
Of course, one can always force ld to be a particular linker (i.e. the
BFD one on a system where the default is GOLD, or vice versa) with ugly
$PATH and symlink tricks. But that is ugly.

Wouldn't it be sensible to provide a gcc switch to force a particular
ld to be used? Something like CC='gcc -fforce-ld=/usr/bin/ld.bfd' ?
Or, if there is some other way (excluding dirty PATH manipuation),
document it better perhaps in
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Link-Options.html#Link-Options

On Debian (since this is the system you mention), you can just use: gcc -B/usr/lib/compat-ld gcc -B/usr/lib/gold-ld to select the ld you want.

--
Marc Glisse