Re: Problems with upstream versions of gmp, mpfr, and mpc [Was: Bug in Build System of gcc-4.5.1? Cannot Find libmpc.so.2]

> I'm very sceptical about "or any later version" instructions when
> building the gcc prerequisites.  In practice this can never be certain
> to work, because the upstream maintainers of these tools can change
> them in ways that break gcc.

Indeed, on the SPARC we seem to have problems (miscompilations: fortran/45277,
target/45363, c/45407) with any newer versions of GMP/MPFR/MPC.  So I'm going
to add a blurb to the platform-specific instructions about that.

> Somehow, we need to keep an eye on these issues so that if a new
> version of a library changes in a way that breaks the gcc build we
> notice.  But I don't think we have any mechanism to do that at
> present.

Yes, I think we should have recommended versions for the 3rd party libraries.

--
Eric Botcazou