Re: Optimization Switches

On 26 August 2010 12:56,  <sharjeel@cse.iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> a) Is there any way to observe the effect of a particular optimization,
> without the obvious option of using a lot of -fno switches.
> b) And do the -f* switches serve any purpose, if I can't enable individual
> optimizations using them.

You need an optimisation option, -Ox, to enable optimisations, but you
don't have to use -O2 to get optimisations that are normally enabled
by -O2, e.g. -O1 -fstrict-aliasing will enable strict aliasing.

So to answer the first question, use -O1, turn off the O1
optimisations you don't want, and selectively enable the ones you do
want.