Optimization Switches

Hi,
I wish to selectively enable specific optimizations to observe its effect
on the source. My project requires me to do this analysis. It seemed, the
-f* flags would enable me to do that. But it turns out that individual
optimizations can't be enabled like that, and all the optimizations at a
specific level gets enabled when I use a  -Ox switch. This faq  at
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#optimization-options, says this too.

So here are my two questions :

a) Is there any way to observe the effect of a particular optimization,
without the obvious option of using a lot of -fno switches.
b) And do the -f* switches serve any purpose, if I can't enable individual
optimizations using them.

Thanks,
Sharjeel Imam