get "stack smasshing" for code that uses pointers passed as references.

I have some code that passes pointers like:

int foo( int a,char *& word){
}

If that function modifies the actual pointer word (indexes it for instance) I will get a stack smashing error at runtime. The code runs perfectly if I set -fno-stack-protector.

Is this feature intended to work properly with references?
wcn