This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: build: are there situations where 'ar' does not work?
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Cc: bug-libtool at gnu dot org
- Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:15:58 -0700
- Subject: Re: build: are there situations where 'ar' does not work?
- References: <20100822182814.GA16093@gmx.de>
Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de> writes:
> Libtool recently added a configure test for @file support in ar
> (and other tools) in order to avoid the slower partial building
> or static libraries on some systems (and have an escape route on
> systems where the archiver doesn't allow adding to an archive).
> Now, to avoid issues when GCC uses newer Libtool: are there situations
> where running $AR does not work? Cross compile? In-tree binutils?
When building a target library (libgcc, libstdc++, etc.) $AR should