Re: Performance optimizations for Intel Core 2 and Core i7 processors

On 8/13/10 11:40 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:44:57AM +0400, Maxim Kuvyrkov wrote:
CodeSourcery is working on improving performance for Intel's Core 2 and
Core i7 families of processors.

CodeSourcery plans to add support for unaligned vector instructions, to
provide fine-tuned scheduling support and to update instruction
selection and instruction cost models for Core i7 and Core 2 families of
processors.

As usual, CodeSourcery will be contributing its work to GCC.  Currently,
our target is the end of GCC 4.6 Stage1.

If your favorite benchmark significantly under-performs on Core 2 or
Core i7 CPUs, don't hesitate asking us to take a look@it.

We appreciate Intel sponsoring this project.

Maxim, Do you have any updates on the progress of this project? Since it has been proposed to default intel darwin to -mtune=core2, it would be very helpful to be able to test (benchmark) any proposed changes on x86_64-apple-darwin10 with gcc trunk. Thanks in advance.

Jack,

We will start posting patches very soon. Bernd Schmidt has almost finished pipeline model for Core 2/i7, so that will be the first piece of work we'll post for upstream review.

Regards,

--
Maxim Kuvyrkov
CodeSourcery