Re: Triplet for ARM Linux HardFP ABI

Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> The reason why a new triplet is required is that config.guess needs to
> generate it when running native.  Config.guess is the only way to
> communicate the information needed for a native compiler when no other
> information is communicated on the command line, and it only reports a
> triplet.

Why not fix this?  For example, it could also give back configure
options (--with-float=hard) that should be implicitly assumed to have
been provided.

It really does seem like a hack to use triplets in this way; I think
Paul's point that anything that depends on the toolchain triplet to
determine ABI is inherently busted is pretty persuasive.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery