This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |
| Other format: | [Raw text] | |
Basile Starynkevitch <basile@starynkevitch.net> writes:
On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 08:56 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:Tom de Vries <tjvries@xs4all.nl> writes:
What I am really trying to do, is a bootstrap debug build of 4.3.5. However, I ran into bug 31230. I minimized the testcase, did an analysis, created a naive patch to test my hypothesis, tested the patch and put it in the bug report. Now I'm looking for feedback.
In the question I asked to this mailing list I tried to abstract awayFrom the specific case I analyzed, to get a more conceptualdiscussion about the garbage collector, but maybe that was a mistake,
sorry for the confusion.
My analysis, what I'm trying to get confirmed, is that the the actual
type_hash_marked_p() in gcc is 'such an if_marked property':
...
static int type_hash_marked_p (const void *p) {
tree type = ((struct type_hash *) p)->type;
return ggc_marked_p (type) || TYPE_SYMTAB_POINTER (type);
}
Interesting. My first reaction is that this is an invalid use of the
garbage collector. I think there is really only one valid function
that can be used as an if_marked function: one which checks
ggc_marked_p on the structure.
A plugin providing its own GC above GGC, like MELT does, also could use
that feature. So don't remove it, please.
I'm not proposing removing any feature. I'm stating my belief that using if_marked with a function which does anything other than test ggc_marked_p will not work. I don't think it works today, and I don't think we should put effort into making it work.
Ian
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |