This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Issue with LTO/-fwhole-program


On 11 June 2010 21:41, Manuel López-Ibáñez <lopezibanez@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 June 2010 20:48, Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> wrote:
>>> But if I understand correctly, mixed LTO/non-LTO + whole-program is
>>> almost never correct. So we should really emit a warning for this
>>> specific combination. I think making this mistake would be quite easy
>>> but hard to debug.
>>
>> The plugin interface was designed to provide this essential
>> information to the compiler about all the non-LTO code; until Gnu ld
>> implements this or the collect2 interface provides something similar,
>> you're simply working with an incomplete implementation, and you'll
>> have to live with the limitations.


Personally, I rather have GCC warn every time that using LTO (or any
other option) may lead to miscompilation than find out later that my
program is behaving strange. A warning is a limitation I can live
with. Wrong results from perfectly valid programs, not so nice.

Manuel.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]