Re: Issue with LTO/-fwhole-program

On 06/11/2010 03:26 PM, Jan Hubicka wrote:
Ah, so the problem is the missing -flto in the second compilation
step? I think this is a bug in the compiler for not reporting this
somehow. Is there are PR open for this?

Compiler can not report it because it does not see the other object files. It is really up to user to understand -fwhole-program and mark externally visible symbols. Your testcase is quite ugly in a way that it leads to miscopmilation rather than linktime error, but there is not much we can do about it I guess. Perhaps we can somehow poison the object names that are brought local with -fwhole-program so linking explode, but I am not sure there is way to do so.

Define a common object of unreasonable size and -fgc-sections?

Paolo