Re: Using C++ in GCC is OK

Steinar Bang wrote:
Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>:

I think virtual functions are on the edge; quite useful, but do result
in the compiler adding a pointer to data objects and in uninlinable
indirect calls at run-time.  Therefore, I would avoid them in the
initial subset of C++ used in GCC.

Umm...? Virtual functions are _the_ core C++ feature for creating OO frameworks.

Allowing C++ but avoiding virtual functions seems odd to me.

Not at all, data abstraction and inheritance do not depend on virtual functions. You can do a lot without allowing dynamic dispatching. Of course there are some cases where dynamic dispatching makes things easier, but to regard it as *the* core feature of C++ seems dubious to me (the STL in general relies on templates, but not dynamic dispatching as far as I know).