This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: [x86]: Allow @GOTOFF in non-memory context?


On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 14:24 +0200, Uros Bizjak wrote:

> I'm looking into i386.md, where we have a bunch of instances of
> following comment:
> 
>             ; Current assemblers are broken and do not allow @GOTOFF in
>             ; ought but a memory context.
> 
> Code, following this comment disables or special-cases "pic_symbolic_operands".
> 
> I'm investigating, which "current assemblers" are broken, since my
> assembler from binutils-2.20 happily assembles:
> 
> addl x@GOTOFF(%ebx), %eax
> 
> in 32bit mode, as well as
> 
> addq x@GOTPCREL(%rip), %rax
> 
> in 64bit mode.
> 
> Looking into gcc install documentation, the lowest mentioned version
> is 2.13.1. I have no idea, if this version supports above asm, so I
> would like to ask someone with  access to this ancient version if he
> can test this instruction.

FYI, binutils-2.13.1 (that doesn't even build out-of-the-box nowadays
without a couple of trivial fixes) assembles above instructions without
problems, so IMO - as far as ELF is concerned - we can remove this
limitation.

Uros.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]