Re: Using C++ in GCC is OK

On 06/01/2010 08:10 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Mark Mitchell<mark@codesourcery.com> writes:

I am pleased to report that the GCC Steering Committee and the FSF have
approved the use of C++ in GCC itself.  Of course, there's no reason for
us to use C++ features just because we can.  The goal is a better
compiler for users, not a C++ code base for its own sake.

I would like to thank Mark and the SC for securing this agreement.

Before we start to actually use C++, we need to determine a set of
coding standards that will apply to use of C++ within GCC.

I have written a proposed set of C++ coding conventions on the wiki at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CppConventions

This is only a preliminary proposal.  It requires fleshing out and
discussion.  Comments welcome.

Another rule came to mind after skimming Effective C++. It's obviously too late to convert casts to C++ casts, but we should never use C casts when a static_cast would not be enough. Or, at least, when a const_cast would be required. This should also be warned by the compiler.

Paolo