Re: LTO vs static library archives [was Re: lto1: internal compiler error: in lto_symtab_merge_decls_1, at lto-symtab.c:549]

> Well, we'd then need to re-architect the symbol merging and
> LTO unit read-in to properly honor linking semantics (drop
> a LTO unit from an archive if it doesn't resolve any unresolved
> symbols).  I don't know how easy that will be, but it shouldn't
> be impossible at least.

We also should keep in mind that we really ought to be able to produce LTO .o files
without actual assembly in, so either we should not tie this too much with linking
process anyway or we need to output fake symbols into the LTO .o file when assembly
is not done.
(I guess one can just output empty variables and functions, but then .o will link
without LTO and lead to wrong code).

This is IMO quite important feature, we don't want to double compile times forever.

Honza