Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On 26 April 2010 07:06, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:

> I find it amusing the willingness of various developers to debate the veracity of the LLVM policies, but the simulataneous (apparent) unwillingness to address GCC's (perceived) problems. ?Why not spend your time helping improve the documentation, increase modularity, or improve the copyright assignment process, rather than participate so much in this thread?

Well, I agree that the discussion is going a bit off-topic. As it
commonly happens when the legal issues are raised. But it has been
raised that it is easier to contribute to LLVM than to GCC because the
former does not require a copyright assignment/disclaimer. The
question then is whether the copyright assignment/disclaimer is needed
at all, or its benefits outweighs its costs. It is a pointless
discussion for GCC because the FSF strongly feels that it is
necessary. I guess you have noticed that I am not in the LLVM mailing
list raising this "uncomfortable" questions.

In fact, I agree that those are (real, not perceived) problems in GCC.
But to address those problems we need more help. And I feel the
feedback from would-be-contributors has been interesting, but we
probably are not going to get anything more useful from this thread.
Can I close it?

> On Apr 25, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
>> Are you 100% sure that the fact that LLVM does not ask for your
>> employer disclaimer means that you do not need to ask your employer
>> for some paper to legally contribute code? Are you sure you are not
>> exposing yourself to a legal risk?
>
> This is such an incredibly immense scoop of FUD that I couldn't help but respond to it :-) ?Isn't this thread supposed to be about finding ways to improve GCC?

From the things we have heard in this thread, this is a pretty
sensible question. Is the answer yes or no? You could actually ask the
lawyers of the U. of Illinois. But yes, until I start contributing to
LLVM (which may happen someday, there is nothing wrong with it) I
don't care much, that is, unless someone raises again the point that
it is easier to contribute to LLVM because they don't ask for a
copyright disclaimer. If you get an answer, I am honestly interested.
:-)

Manuel.