Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:33, Richard Kenner
<kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
> There's nothing to have a problem WITH! ÂNo assignment has taken place.
> The statement on the web has no legal significance whatsoever. ÂUnless
> the company SIGNS something, they still own the copyright on the code
> and can, at any time, decide they don't want it distributed.

If I submit a patch to the GCC project---necessitating an assignment
of the copyright to the FSF---then can the people of the FSF decide
that they don't want me to distribute my own work in another project
(proprietary or otherwise)?

That is, could I actually become liable for infringing on the
copyright of my own original work? Are we just trusting RMS not to be
a troll (tongue-in-cheek)?