Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On 25 April 2010 17:44, Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> IANAL but the copyright assignment is probably necessary for the FSF
> to have the rights to change the license at will (within the
> limitations allowed by the copyright assignment). If there are many
> copyright holders, like for say the linux kernel, a change of license
> requires the approval of at least all major copyright holders, IIUC.

I think this is not worth discussing. The FSF is not going to not ask
for copyright assignment. The question is whether the process can be
simplified.

LLVM has also copyright assignment, however, it is implicit in the
patch submission. Whether this is enough or not or the legal
consequences of it are not clear to me.

Cheers,

Manuel.