Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On 24 April 2010 02:05, Basile Starynkevitch <basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:
> Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
>>
>> On 24 April 2010 00:18, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The disclaimers are legally necessary though, the FSF needs a paper
>>> trail in the case your employer comes back and claims that they have
>>> copyright over a change.
>>
>> BTW, in this aspect there is no difference between GCC and LLVM. The
>> latter also requires to assign copyright to the University of
>> Illinois. If you don't have a copyright disclaimer before contributing
>> to LLVM, you are exposing yourself to some future legal troubles.
>
> The real issue is not the copyright disclaimer, it is the legal terms
> inside. Maybe U.Illinois don't use words like "unlumited liaibility".
>
> But we cannot know for sure, these documents are not public.

The university of Illinois is in the same legal position as the FSF
and they probably have good lawyers too, so the terms are with almost
certainty similar. Perhaps someone made a mistake during your process
or they sent the wrong papers or whatever. But again, in this aspect
there is not (or there should not be) any difference between the GCC
and LLVM, except for the process itself, which I am starting to see
that it is more problematic than I thought.

Cheers,

Manuel.