Re: Notes from the GROW'10 workshop panel (GCC research opportunities workshop)

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 13:57 +0200, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
> (BTW I call lowlevel any language which does not manage memory
> automatically; I am quite fond of Ocaml even if I don't use it much today.
> So in my eyes C++, Ada95 & Fortran2005 are still low-level; this is only a
> matter of taste & terminology).

You didn't look very hard in the Ada Reference Manual :).

Garbage collection support for Ada implementations is optional but
defined in Ada since the first standard in 1983.

All Ada standards (83/95/05) do have a "garbage collection" entry in
their index wich lists the various parts of the standard interacting
with absence or presence of automatic memory management, for example
see "pragma Controlled".

GNAT/GCC does not provide garbage collection but GNAT/dotnet and
GNAT/Java do provide it so you can run Ada software these days without
having to do manual memory management.

Sincerely,

Laurent