Re: Some benchmark comparison of gcc4.5 and dragonegg (was dragonegg in FSF gcc?)

Robert Dewar wrote:

Actually for my taste, you have to get a MUCH bigger factor in compile
time before you can call yourself a fast compiler (Realia COBOL by
comparison compiles millions of lines a minute of code on current
PC's, using just one core).

Obviously, apart from comparing a sufficiently large set of compilers on this, "speed of compilation" is mostly in the eye of the beholder.

Subjectively, as of gcc/gfortran 4.4, our (roughly 1 million lines of Fortran + 30,000 lines of C) code gets compiled (optimized and vectorized at -O3) in about 5 minutes on a quad core machine (using make -j8).

As an absolute number, this tells you nothing. But as a measure of usefulness, it means that from 4.4 onwards, it is possible to recompile our complete weather forecasting suite at *every* new run, 4 times a day.

You bet that's sometimes useful ...

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/