Re: GCC 4.5.0 Released

On 19/04/2010 14:35, Jack Howarth wrote:

>    The annoucement should probably note that targets which lack
> objdump currently can't build plugins.

  Hey, and non-ELF targets also probably can't, I think.

  In the absence of a sudden miraculous flood of volunteers, however, it's
just going to be up to you and me to fix our favourite platforms.

> I've had about as much
> luck getting the patch to fix this...

> ...reviewed

  Wait, which patch?

> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:42:47 -0400

although, to be fair, that's a revision of the one you posted on

> Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:28:19 -0400

  So that was right between the release candidate (06/04) and the final
release itself (14/04).  You can't really hope to get a patch in at that
stage, it's just not practical (and come on, you have to accept that goes
doubly so for a patch that you had to revise three times in the course of 24
hours to get it right; if that's not the definition of "risky", what is?); we
could carry on improving the compiler for ever and never release a new
version, but somewhere you've just got to draw a line and ship something
sooner or later.  That's why it's not just a single release, it's a branch,
and that's why there will be a 4.5.1 and that's how we should go about fixing
these problems.  It's a straightforward-enough release procedure, and I hate
it as much as anyone when I miss a deadline and have to stand there on shore
with the barrier down watching the boat pull away, but you gotta accept your
limitations as a single finite human being and we can't always expect everyone
to wait for us minority platforms to catch up.

    cheers,
      DaveK