Re: GCC 4.5.0 Released

On 19/04/2010 15:31, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> But, I don't think that plug-ins are yet a useful thing to announce in
> what is essentially a "marketing" context.  Most users won't be able to
> use them yet.  We have some infrastructure; we don't have a lot of use
> of that infrastructure yet.

  Well, to be fair, LTO is in somewhat the same position: works, but isn't a
great deal of use /yet/, until people start getting to grips with and using
the _potential_ it provides.

> More broadly, there are lots of things that didn't make the
> announcement.  There have been many important improvements since GCC
> 4.4.x; they don't all fit in an announcement.

  But I agree with this: a release announcement is just an email someone sends
out after a new release is uploaded, it is not a major PR effort nor a
statement of policy nor even something from which to attempt to infer the
relative priority of different features.  It's just a non-comprehensive brief
precis.  So if there's a discussion to be had here, it's about how GCC should
be "marketed", and the extent to which a release announcement should be part
of that effort.

    cheers,
      DaveK