Re: Notes from the GROW'10 workshop panel (GCC research opportunities workshop)

Nathan Froyd <froydnj@codesourcery.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:30:44AM -0400, Diego Novillo wrote:
>
>> To attract new developers, GCC needs to modernize its internal
>> structure.  I have some thoughts on that, but progress has been slow,
>> due mostly to resource constraints.
>
> Would you mind expanding--even just a little bit--on what bits need
> modernizing?

The tree/GIMPLE layer needs significantly better documentation, but is
otherwise not too bad.

Once you get to the RTL layer, there are too many undocumented
inter-pass dependencies.

The interface between the frontend and the middle-end is largely
undocumented.

Ian