WHOPR bootstrap, when/how?

Hello,

I've tried, unsuccessfully, bootstrapping C only with WHOPR enabled.
Not sure what happened, other than that my machine ran out of memory.
I guess this is kind-of expected, but it made me wondering how much
work, and what exactly, remains to be done before bootstrapping with
WHOPR enabled is possible. Is this even a goal?

It'd be nice if we can track this on a wiki page, and I'd make one
myself except that I have no idea where GCC WHOPR stands at the moment
:-)

Hope someone can explain the status, and perhaps the plan...

Ciao!
Steven