Re: i370 port - constructing compile script

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> "Paul Edwards" <mutazilah@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 2. If the normal way to do things is to parse the make -n output
> > with perl etc, that's fine, I'll do it that way.  I was just wondering
> > if the proper way was to incorporate the logic into a Makefile
> > rule and get that rule repeatedly executed rather than just
> > having a simple "echo".  It seems to me that having a generic
> > rule to execute an external script would be neater???
>
> I'm not sure what you are suggesting here, but I do know that it
> wouldn't make sense for us to change the gcc Makefile to use a rule
> which executes an external script.
>
> The "normal way to do things" is to use GNU make.  I think you are the
> first person trying to build gcc without it.

Not the first - BSDs have been known to import GCC sources into their
repositories and write their own build system using BSD make.  No doubt
this is a lot of work that needs repeating for each new version imported -
that's the price you pay if you don't want to use the normal GCC build
system.

(And GCC didn't always require GNU make - but the BSDs replacing the build
system are a much closer analogy here than ordinary builds of old versions
with other make implementations before GNU make was required.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com