Re: GCC 4.5 Status Report (2009-09-19)

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:23:11AM -0700, Cary Coutant wrote:
> >> ? So aren't we now likely to lose the first few days of what little remains of
> >> stage 1 waiting for trunk to start working again, then have a mad rush of
> >> people falling all over each other to get their new features in in the last
> >> couple of days? ?One of which will inevitably break trunk again and block all
> >> the others and then stage 1 will be over and it'll all be too late?
> >
> > I am not aware of any big patches that are still pending. ?Coming up
> > with new yet unknown things now wouldn't be a good timing anyway.
>
> I was hoping to get the dwarf4 branch merged into trunk during stage
> 1. While it's not a small patch, it's also not really that intrusive
> in that it consists mostly of new code that runs only with the
> -gdwarf-4 option. I've been testing it on a lot of big code bases for
> the last few months, and haven't found any new bugs for a more than a
> month now, so I think it's ready.
>
> I'll work on merging top-of-trunk into the branch early this week and
> then send a patch to merge back into the trunk.
>
> -cary

Cary,
   Are you saying that current gcc trunk should require -gdwarf-4
to issue dwarf4 commands? I ask because r151815...

causes dwarf4 by default. Is there a consistent policy on this?
Currently in PR41405, there is a proposal for a -gstrict-dwarf
option which I guess should be expanded to cover your patch if
gcc 4.5 will be defaulting to -gdwarf-4 being enabled.
                   Jack