Re: Compiling programs licensed under the GPL version 2 with GCC 4.4

2009/7/27 Robert Dewar <dewar@adacore.com>:
> a) discussions of licensing issues are off topic on this mailing list
>
> b) you should ignore all such discussions, since they invariablly
> ? include lots of legal-sounding opinions from people who are not
> ? lawyers and don't know, and often have significant misconceptions.
>
> c) remember that even lawyers don't know what the exactly implications
> ? of copyright law are, juries often surprise. So even if you go ask
> ? a lawyer, you won't get a definitive opinion.

These three points could be included in a standard answer to licensing
questions posted to gcc@. Invariably, all such threads are a waste of
time and bandwidth. Perhaps we can include the standard answer in some
webpage so we can copy+paste or just point to it. A first attempt at:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Licensing

Cheers,

Manuel.