This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Phase 1 of gcc-in-cxx now complete


On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Joe Buck<Joe.Buck@synopsys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 03:19:19PM -0700, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>>
>> > * Test starting the bootstrap with earlier versions of the compiler to
>> > ? see which C++ compiler version is required, and document that.
>>
>> I think the right approach is not documenting observations like that, but
>> investigating the causes of failures with older compilers and making it
>> build with as wide a range of versions of GCC (and ideally at least one
>> non-GCC C++ compiler, probably an EDG-based one such as the Intel
>> compiler) as is reasonable.
>
> Microsoft's and Sun's compilers would be more likely to run into issues,
> particularly Sun's; Sun has had a policy of preferring solid backward
> compatibility to standards compliance, so I've tended to have more
> problems getting correct, standard C++ to run on their compiler than on
> others. ?This is particularly true of template-based code and nested
> classes.

Yes, but I also think that we should aim for a conservative subset
of C++ -- that is solid enough for the last decade.  I don't pretend
that is an easy task, but I believe that can only help us.

-- Gaby


>
>


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]