relative include search path

I have a problem with gcc not finding location for stddef.h include
file when it is invoked from directory other than
<install_prefix>/bin.
Output from gcc invocation with -v option contains the following:

ignoring nonexistent directory "../lib/gcc..."

i.e. gcc is trying to find include files in directory with relative path.
So it is works only when working directory is /usr/bin, where gcc is installed.

Why gcc looks for headers in directories with relative paths ?
I configured gcc with --prefix=/usr. The gcc was built with cross-compiler.

Thanks in advance.