Re: New GCC releases comparison and comparison of GCC4.4 and LLVM2.5 on SPEC2000

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:
>> Rather, we should seriously understand what caused the compilation time
>> jump in 4.2, and whether those are still a problem.  We made a good job
>> in 4.0 and 4.3 offsetting the slowdowns from infrastructure changes with
>> speedups from other changes; and 4.4 while slower than 4.3 at least
>> stays below 4.2.  But, 4.2 was a disaster for compilation time.
>
> Yes that would be useful, although I admit for me personally
> make -j and icecream do a pretty good job at hiding that pain.

Yes, well...

Given the continuous complaints/bashes from some of your fellow kernel
hackers and many others, it still is still important to address the
compilation time issues. There still is enough low-hanging fruit.

Ciao!
Steven