Re: Graphite build fails if PPL configured with --disable-shared

Janis Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 13:07 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Another Graphite build issue: it appears that I must not use
--disable-shared when I configure PPL.  If I do use --disable-shared, I
get this:

/home/iant/gnu/ppl-0.10.2-install/lib/libppl_c.a(ppl_c_implementation_common.o): In function `finalize':
/home/iant/gnu/ppl-0.10.2/interfaces/C/../../src/ppl.hh:1842: undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'

followed by thousands of similar errors.  This is unfortunate, as it
means that I must manually set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory where
the PPL library is installed.  This also makes it harder for anybody
else to run the compiler that I build.  This needs to be fixed.

I get around this by setting LDFLAGS for the ppl configure:

  LDFLAGS="-static" \
  ./configure \
    --prefix=$PREFIX \
    --build=powerpc-linux \
    --with-gnu-ld \
    --with-libgmp-prefix=$PREFIX \
    --with-libgmpxx-prefix=$PREFIX \
    --disable-shared

I am not sure I understand: we trust that Libtool, which provides us with the --disable-shared option, will do the right thing. And it seems it does here: the static library is built and passes its checks.

Perhaps you want something different from what --disable-shared promises,
that is, not to build any shared libraries?

I copy libstdc++.a into the directory with the other GCC host
libraries (gmp/mpfr/ppl/cloog/mpc).

Building these libraries is indeed quite painful.

Any suggestion about how to improve the PPL is welcome. This, of course, applies also to the build machinery. All the best,

Roberto

--
Prof. Roberto Bagnara
Computer Science Group