Re: Interest in integer auto-upcasting pass for normalization and optimization?

----- Forwarded message from amylaar@spamcop.net -----
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 05:07:52 -0400
From: Joern Rennecke <amylaar@spamcop.net>
Subject: Re: Interest in integer auto-upcasting pass for normalization and optimization?
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
Cc: Albert Cohen <Albert.Cohen@inria.fr>, Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmail.com>, Nathan Froyd <froydnj@codesourcery.com>

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 10:07:38PM +0200, Albert Cohen wrote:
I wonder if some of this is already implemented somewhere, or if someone played with it in the past, or is interesting in contributing.

Daniel Jacobowitz:
This sounds a bit similar to Nathan Froyd's recent work:

Note that this is PR 29944.

For ARCompact, doloop loops in particular were interesting to
optimize, which is why I have a patch to loop-doloop.c in
svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/arc-4_4-branch :

2009-02-24 J"orn Rennecke <joern.rennecke@arc.com>

         * loop-doloop.c (doloop_valid_p): Rename to:
         (validize_doloop).  Try to fix up loops with conditons for infinite
         looping by enclosing them in an outer loop.
         Changed caller.
         (add_test): Add new parameter edgep.  Changed caller.