Re: [Announcement] Creating lightweight IPO branch

Xinliang David Li <davidxl@google.com> writes:

> If the idea is generally accepted, I will prepare a series of patches
> and submit them to gcc trunk.

I was reading your wiki page. Interesting idea.

One aspect that wasn't clear to me on reading it was how different
compiler arguments for different files are handled. How would the
compiler compiling another source file know what special arguments
(like -I -D or special -f options) it needs? Or in what directory it
was compiled in for -I paths? Or do you assume that is always all the
same?

The other thing that wasn't clear to me was the worst case
behaviour. If there's a single large file x.c that has a function that
is called from 100 other small files with hot call sites then x.c
would be compiled 100 times, right? Is there something to mitigate
such worst case behaviour?

Thanks,
-Andi