Re: [RFC] Thoughts on reordering the source tree

> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The GCC source tree is getting really big. ?We currently have in gcc/:
> >
> > - 337 .c files
> > - 171 .h files
> >
> > Personally, I think the source tree is quite a mess, the way it is
> > now. ?A long time ago (I can't find the threads involved) there was
> > some discussion about re-ordering the source tree a bit.
> >
> > Now that GCC uses subversion, we can move files around without
> > destroying the file revision history, right? And we are in stage1, the
> > perfect time for Big Changes like re-ordering the source tree.
> >
> > Thoughts on what the source tree could look like (crude, eventual
> > re-ordering is of course a pre-file decision):
> > - c-* go to gcc/c (including c-common.*, 29 files)
>
> Agreed.
>
> > - *.h go to gcc/include
>
> Ugh.  I don't like this, nor ...
>
> > - ipa-* go to gcc/ipa-opt/ipa
> > - tree-* go to gcc/gimple-opt/
> > - RTL optimizations (fwprop, see, gcse, loop-*, etc.) go to gcc/rtl-opt/

Hmm, also note that we will probably end up with relatively few passes
having both gimple and IPA variant, like IPA-SRA or pure-const pass does
have now.  Otherwise I am all for directory structure just hope
pretty-ipa will get merged before all the renaming happens ;))

Honza