Re: [gnat] reuse of ASTs already constructed

On 2009-04-27 at 10:27, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> > gcc has a new command line switch, "-multi".
> > This tells gcc to forward all given input files to a single execution
> > of the compiler proper, in a similar way as done for "-combine".
>
> This is good work, but why not just reuse -combine?  What is the
> difference btween -multi and -combine?

-combine produces just one assembler file for all input files
while -multi produces one assembler file per each input file.

Actually, I started out reusing -combine for Ada (with the changed
semantics of N output files) until I realized that someday other
languages might also become multi-output capable.

Oliver