Re: [gnat] reuse of ASTs already constructed

Oliver Kellogg wrote:
Here's the current status of my work (see appended patch.)

This is great work, something we always thought about (as you can see from some of the existing code), but seemed like a very big task!

gnat1 can now handle multiple input files as previously
described (produce one assembly and ALI file per input file.)

First tests look very promising. I'm getting noticeable speedups
of when supplying N interrelated bodies in a single call as opposed
to N individual calls to gnat1. Precise measurements will follow.

Definitely makes sense, the time it will really help is when you have a big cluster of commonly used specs, especially if you have inlining active. Of course there will be big memory usage, but these days that's seeming less of a problem (the PC sitting next to me has 16 gigs of memory, which is accessible in 64-bit mode).