Re: Revised GCC Runtime Library Exception

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 06:48:17AM -0700, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> Say you have module A, B, C and D.  A is the main program and uses B, C
> and D.  B uses the runtime library, and is therefore an independent module.
> Thus, you are allowed to link B with the runtime library.  An argument
> could be made that A is an independent module because it depends on B,
> although that seems a bit risky to bet a companies fortunes on.
> At any rate C and D are not independent modules, because they don't need
> the runtime library.  Hence you are only allowed to convey a work of Target
> Code comprising A, B, C and D together with (parts of) the Runtime Library
> under the terms of the GPL, if at all.

We brought up that point, and the resolution will be that the FSF will
publish an FAQ explicitly blessing this case.  Their argument is that we
don't need to change the text because {A,B,C,D} together can be treated as
an independent module, and if you have C and D alone, they don't need the
library or the exception.  I understand your reading as well, and I argued
for clearer text, but the people at the SFLC with the law degrees think
it's fine.

Since the FSF is the copyright owner, even if your reading is held by
someone to be correct, then the FSF's FAQ would count as an additional
permission.

I've seen drafts of the FAQ; we'll push them to publish it.