Re: Plugin API Comments

Rather than invent a new quoting syntax, why not just split the
arguments up?  If each a plugin has a name, you could use that name in
subsequent -f arguments.  E.g., if the name of the plugin in
"plugin.so" is "foo", perhaps:

-fplugin=/path/to/plugin.so -ffoo-arg1=value1 -ffoo-arg2=value2

The actual spelling could be "-fplugin-$NAME-arg" if you think the
above is too likely to clash with already existing (or future)
argument names.

Tom's idea is similar to precedent. GCC already has the -Wl flag; maybe we could just use a similar mechanism? From the man page:
--
-Wl,option
Pass option as an option to the linker. If option contains commas,

If we require a one-to-one correspondence between -Wplugin parameters and parameters passed to the plugin, then this resolves both the issue of identifying which parameter maps to which argument, and also the problem of pathnames with odd characters.

Sean